Licensing

ghaladen

Licensing

Postby ghaladen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:39 am

Hi there,

I love the framework, I think this is what Microsoft should've done to assist shops who (ruefully) chose Silverlight to build their enterprise apps, ours included.

I have a question on the licensing? Is this going to be the same license as JSIL (MIT)? Or did you have something else in mind.

Also, if this is open source, is there a repo that we could contribute to? I'd really like to help see this project take off in whatever capacity I can.

JS-Support @Userware
Site Admin

Re: Licensing

Postby JS-Support @Userware » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 am

Hi ghaladen,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forums.

We are glad that you like the framework.

Here is the current licensing model of the framework:
  • C# to JavaScript compiler (JSIL): open-source MIT. The repository / issue tracker to contribute is https://github.com/sq/JSIL
  • Core .NET Framework classes and methods (via the "Bootstrap" code inside JSIL): open-source MIT. You can see the code at the following URL (look at the classes named "JSIL.Bootstrap.*"): https://github.com/sq/JSIL/tree/master/Libraries (we are working on the documentation to add a section that explains how to easily contribute and add features)
  • Interaction with the hardware of Android, iOS, WP devices (coming soon): open-source (Apache Cordova)
  • XAML to HTML compiler, XAML controls, and .NET Framework classes: 100% free (currently closed-source, but we may make it open-source in the future when it reaches full maturity)
  • Visual Studio Extension: 100% free (currently closed source)
  • Upcoming business components (advanced WCF, DataGrid, etc.): commercial

We have a dedicated team that is working on the solution full time. We are committed to deliver a very high-quality product with professional support.

Please feel free to let us have your thoughts.

Thank you again and best regards,

JS-Support

DragonSpark

Postby DragonSpark » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:33 am

So awesome. So very cool to see this project get some legs under it!!!

DragonSpark

Postby DragonSpark » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 am

I will also say that this project competes with Cordova, but in a much more fundamental way.

No longer will we have to live with two code bases written in two different languages. We can now have C# all the way through! So amazing and welcomed. Plus it will leverage all the latest HTML5 technologies and us .NET developers will no longer feel like we're "missing out." EVERYTHING will be on HTML5/JS... it is now just a matter of how it gets there.

I was really big on Xamarin, but the more I think about and explore this option, this is the best way of doing cross-platform .NET. If you manage to support Xamarin with renderers (and it sounds like you will), all the better!

Thank you so much CSHTML5 team!!!

lix2k3

Postby lix2k3 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:30 pm

I agree, c# all the way through is the best way to go and therefore, nothing is really competing with this on that front. The idea of everything coming out as javascript and html5 at the end makes it as future proof as it gets. I don't want to design for and implement UI code for 3 or 4 (including the browser) different native front ends for several different apps. It's too much for a small business. cshtml5 is the only plausible option that leverages both c# AND XAML. Excellent.

Return to “General Discussion and Other”