Default font is browser default, not XAML default [SOLVED]

Please post public support tickets here. Note: for private support tickets, please send an email to support@cshtml5.com instead.
stimpy77

Default font is browser default, not XAML default [SOLVED]

Postby stimpy77 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:18 pm

My very first impression/reaction to any samples that is so distracting I had to create a Forum account to post here (and yes I already bought a license because I am a sucker for such huge promises even if vaporware--not saying this is vaporware, but even if it was, I would've bought because the notion of C#/XAML converted to HTML5 is awesome)::

You really should default the font (in any "reset" CSS preceding any application specific styles) to sans-serif, as Times New Roman (the default web font) has never been the default font predefined in Silverlight, WPF, nor Windows 8/10 XAML (nor Windows Forms or VB6 or MFC or any other UI framework for that matter).

Or, to clarify, the web browsers are already imposing a standard web font because HTML was originally designed for written documents, not applications, but WPF/Silverlight/Win8-10-XAML technologies assume their own default conventions rather than web conventions, so by default a XAML solution should apply that default. Use Segoe UI or Verdana or at least MS Sans Serif (Windows Forms). As you know, CSS fonts cascade, so maybe default to:

Code: Select all

body {
    font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Verdana', 'Lucida', 'MS Sans Serif', '[insert appropriate Mac font]', '[insert appropriate Linux font]', sans-serif
}

Yes of course I can do this in my own solutions, but it should default this way, and your samples look awful (in this aspect). And I am presuming these samples to represent default behavior of converted code.

http://cshtml5.com/samples/calculator/index.html

http://cshtml5.com/samples/showcase/index.html?20150526

.. and where I first noticed the problem because I bought before I looked at samples, .. https://myaccount.cshtml5.com/

These render as Times New Roman on my desktop .. I mean, really?! Maybe you were testing on a mobile device? Which is exactly why I lost interest in Famo.us; it takes very little effort for them to default button widgets' "cursor" CSS property to "pointer" or "default" but, no, buttons render the mouse as text select cursor because they're only testing with touch devices. It's not that I worry about not doing the work so much as I don't want to think about adding these stupid little fixes, plus I lose confidence in how much else suffers oversight.

Anyway, don't mean to be negative or rant but this is an easy thing to clean up. Yes I realize it's beta. This is beta feedback. :)

JS-Support @Userware
Site Admin

Re: Default font is browser default, not XAML default

Postby JS-Support @Userware » Sun May 31, 2015 2:15 am

Hello stimpy77,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Yes, we are planning to default to sans-serif. It didn't make it to the Beta 4 release, but you can expect it in the very next build.

We take typography very seriously, and we are also planning - in a later release - to add support for embedding custom fonts in your application.

In the meantime, please add the following code to your MainPage XAML. It will cascade to all your XAML:

Code: Select all

<Page
    FontFamily="Segoe UI,DejaVu Sans,Verdana,Lucida,MS Sans Serif,sans-serif">

("DejaVu Sans" may be the Mac equivalent of Segoe UI)

Please keep the feedback coming. It is with feedback like this that we can really fine-tune the product.

Thanks again,
Regards,
JS-Support

JS-Support @Userware
Site Admin

Re: Default font is browser default, not XAML default [SOLVED]

Postby JS-Support @Userware » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Hello stimpy77,

I am pleased to inform you that your suggestion has now been implemented in the Beta 5.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
JS-Support

Return to “Technical Support”