Xamarin Applications

JohnBaljian

Xamarin Applications

Postby JohnBaljian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 am

Greetings,
is it possible to embed a xamarin form (application) in a CSHTML5 created web project ? the purpose of this implementation is to let a xamarin form run inside an html5 web page via CSHTML5 generated project.

JS-Support @Userware
Site Admin

Re: Xamarin Applications

Postby JS-Support @Userware » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 am

Hi,

This is currently not possible because the XAML of Xamarin is not exactly the same as the XAML of the other MS technologies (Silverlight, WPF, Windows Phone, Universal Windows Platform...). CSHTML5 uses the latter.

There is a topic on UserVoice about this subject, where people can vote for this feature:
https://cshtml5.uservoice.com/forums/274799-c-xaml-for-html5-feature-requests/suggestions/7248174-xamarin-forms-support-to-compile-xamarin-forms-ap

This should be made easier when Xamarin will adapt the "XAML Standard", which was annonced a few months ago.

Thanks.
Regards,
JS-Support

Uriante

Postby Uriante » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:34 am

JohnBaljian wrote:Greetings,
is it possible to greatly benefit from HGH-X2 a,d embed a xamarin form (application) in a CSHTML5 created web project ? the purpose of this implementation is to let a xamarin form run inside an html5 web page via CSHTML5 generated project.

Glad to see it's on the to-do list. I'll certainly vote for this feature.
Last edited by Uriante on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

ToddG

Postby ToddG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Honestly, there is nothing that is a higher priority than having a Xamarin Forms project that could ALSO be compiled as a web site. That seems WAY more lucrative than supporting Silverlight Migrations.

Having an additional device type called CSHTML5 on which one could run a Forms app... beyond valuable

TaterJuice

Postby TaterJuice » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:18 am

ToddG wrote:Honestly, there is nothing that is a higher priority than having a Xamarin Forms project that could ALSO be compiled as a web site. That seems WAY more lucrative than supporting Silverlight Migrations.

Having an additional device type called CSHTML5 on which one could run a Forms app... beyond valuable

I've had success including a CSHTML5 web version of my Xamarin app by writing MVVM and using dependency injection to loosely couple my Xamarin, ASP, WPF and CSHTML5 apps, sharing roughly 80% of the underlying code among all platforms. There are some obvious differences between all the platforms, and CSHTML5 needs it's own Views, but a single shared project with some compiler directives can go a long way to unifying your code. See this old topic for one example: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8391&p=10110&hilit=ivalueconverter#p10110

ToddG

Postby ToddG » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

I'm not saying there aren't technical issues for CSHTML5 to overcome, but I'm inclined to agree with the argument that José Manuel Nieto is making in the following post:

SuperJMN wrote:Hello, dear friends of CSHTML5.

Interesting framework, wrong business model
I completely support you initiative as a concept, but it seems its pricing options are a complete mistake. With the prices you offer this product won’t be used by more than a few companies that are stuck porting old XAML apps (less and less apps, mostly legacy applications) and a few ones that are adventurous enough to try it because they don’t want to hire web developers.

Given that nowadays it’s quite easy to develop a nice looking web UI with lots of controls, automation and features with frameworks like AngularJs or ReactJs, how do you intend to attract people if you close the sources and try to charge hundreds of dollars a month to whom want to have a functional version of your creation? (because the complete version is already restrictive in terms of usability, since it’s still not mature and also supports ½ of the features of real XAML apps (not to say WPF…)

I hope you have something more to say to the community than a public roadmap and a list of expensive purchase options.

Think about it: Xamarin is free and its future looks brighter than never. Why don’t you talk to MS? They are quite open to expand their C#/XAML technologies to the web. Just saying…

Best regards.

José Manuel Nieto (https://www.linkedin.com/in/superjmn/)

http://forums.cshtml5.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8022&p=9241&hilit=wrong+business+model#p9241

JS-Support @Userware
Site Admin

Postby JS-Support @Userware » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 am

Thank you for your feedback.

It is definitely possible to implement Xamarin-compatible XAML in CSHTML5. There hasn't been that that much demand in order for us to invest on it on our own, but if someone or a company is willing to help to co-fund this feature, we can make it available in just a few months. People interested in contributing to accelerate the release of this feature are invited to contact us at hello@cshtml5.com

Thank you very much.

Return to “General Discussion and Other”