Are these features in development yet, or planned for later?

TaterJuice

Are these features in development yet, or planned for later?

Postby TaterJuice » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 am

I'm curious if the following features have begun development, or if they are still scheduled out for future...

(C#) System.Net.Security.RemoteCertificateValidationCallback
and System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback Event
Example:

Code: Select all

ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback += new System.Net.Security.RemoteCertificateValidationCallback(_TrustAllCertificates);
        private static bool _TrustAllCertificates(object sender, X509Certificate cert, X509Chain chain, System.Net.Security.SslPolicyErrors error)
        {
            return true;
        }

Description\Issue: I am currently unable to use CSHTML5's System.Net.WebClient class to communicate over HTTPS with a server who's SSL certificate fails to validate. There are valid cases for SSL certificates failing to validate - for example, my own server uses a certificate for my primary domain, but I have a partner that uses a domain alias for their branded customers, and that alias is not included in my certificate, because the aliased domain does not belong to me, which causes all WebClient WebRequests to that alias to fail because the domain names don't match. This is a huge problem for me, and prevents me from using CSHTML5 to develop applications for customers with SSL issues.
I may lose several projects I have upcoming in the next 2 weeks due to this feature missing.

(XAML) Path.Clip Property
Example:

<Path ... Clip="{Binding RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}, Path=Data}"/>

Description\Issue: This allows me to clip a Path object using another Path Object.

(XAML) Path.StrokeThickness="{NEGATIVE VALUE; ie -10}"
Example:

<Path ... StrokeThickness="-5"/>

Description\Issue: This allows you to specify that a Path's StrokeThickness is applied only on the INSIDE of the path, rather than centered on the path.

Example StrokeThickness="10"

Example StrokeThickness="-10"

JS-Support @Userware
Site Admin

Re: Are these features in development yet, or planned for later?

Postby JS-Support @Userware » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Here are the answers:

1. RemoteCertificateValidationCallback and ServerCertificateValidationCallback:

All the web requests in the browser, including those by the CSHTML5's WebClient class, are done using the underlying JavaScript's XmlHttpRequest object, which unfortunately does not allow to ignore certificate errors.

This appears to be an intended security limitation of the browser's networking layer.

If you find a way to do that in JavaScript we can quickly implement it in CSHTML5 as well. However I don't think this is possible with modern browsers.

The workarounds that I see are not very good:
- Creating a proxy server that will redirect all the calls to the non-secure server. This means that your app will communicate to another server (with a valid certificate), and that server will then communicate to the non-secure server, ignoring invalid certificate errors.
- OR: Requesting users to add an exception to the browser security settings. This can be made easier for users by doing the following: make them navigate to a page on the untrusted server, the browser will display a warning, ask them to click "ignore certificate errors on this website". Apparently, having allowed navigation to pages on the insecure server will also cause the web requests to work.
- OR: Requesting users to add the insecure certificate to the local store. This is probably the worse workaround for end-users.

2. Path.Clip

We can implement this feature using the CSS "clip-path" property. The reason why we haven't implemented it yet is because it is not supported by all browsers. In particular, IE and Edge do not support it, as you can see at:

http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-clip-path

We are going to see if we can find an alternative for IE and Edge.

For information, even though it's probably not what you want, CSHTML5 supports the "ClipToBounds" property, so rectangular clips can be done by putting the element inside another element with ClipToBounds=True

3. Negative StrokeThickness

We are going to see if we find a way to do this. We will keep you updated.

Thanks a lot.
Regards
JS-Support

Return to “General Discussion and Other”